Tips For Roof Repair
Posted by Roofer on November 14th, 2014
1. Lower Your Energy Bills
2. Throughout the winter months, a roof that is in need of repair is much less than power efficient. If you are concerned about saving energy (and money!) you should be certain to maintain up together with your house roof repair needs. If you don’t do home roof repair at the initial indicators of an issue, your home could be losing a great deal of power correct out the top.
3. Home Roof Repair
4. Shingle replacement is a major tasks for house roof repair. Climbing all more than your roof looking for damaged shingles can frequently be time consuming, and not entirely safe. Shingle replacement by a roofing professional will make sure that you replace using the correct type, number, and installation of shingles.
5. Property owners may be initially concerned with distinction between their old and replaced roofing. The older the roofing the more it weathered and consequently possess a slightly various color than the new pieces. . Within the mean time, if you’re concerned about the appear of one’s roof, have the new shingles place within the least noticeable spots in your roof.
6. Maintain The Cleanliness of Your Roof
7. An additional important part of house roof repair is cleaning your roof. Not too numerous people see this as being necessary, but if you keep up with removing debris and sitting water you may have the ability to stop future harm. Just like any other a part of your house, you want to make sure you maintain your roof free of debris from nearby trees, and inspect for any sign of mold.
8. It is very important to follow seriously whatever your service provider tells you to do. . There are companies offering services regarding Roofing Repair Toronto, they provide online sign up facility to their clients. With this facility, clients can call these professionals to inspect their home whenever required. There are no charges for such visits, and also they provide important information on how to avoid major or minor structural damages.
9. It is never advisable to ignore small damages- Small problems are the initiators of large-scale damages. It is therefore, important to keep a check on roof damages that appear as a signal indicating that you need to get the repair done. It requires you to be on time when it is about the strength of your home. Small cracks, minor leaks or other small damages should not be ignored to stop it from expanding later on. These problems signal the necessity of calling an expert so that you need not to run for Emergency Roof Repair spending much more than you ever planned.
10. Trim trees touching the roof- If there is any tree touching your roof, then it is better to trim it down to prevent potential damages. If not done so, it can ruin the quality of roofing materials. The leaves can block the drain system of roof and can alter the functionality of gutters. This in turn can cause accumulation of water in the area making it more prone to damages.
11. Get the loose shingles corrected and insist on quality
Loose shingles can promote the damage and hence, must be corrected by an expert. However, the important thing is to insist on quality. You must ensure that your service provider will use only the highest standard material to accomplish the project.
7 Roof Repair Tips for Home Owners
Posted by Roofer on October 29th, 2014
There are things that home owners always have to be on the lookout for and amongst them are roof damages. Roof damages are bound to occur and they will come with problems like leakages which will water the inside of your house, cracks, loosened fasteners or holes. This will affect the quality of your house and probably even affect its market value. Whereas repairing or replacing a roof can be an expensive affair, many homeowners are ill equipped with knowledge about roofs or roof repairs. It is also of importance to always check whether your homeowners insurance covers serious roof damage. Major causes of roof damage include wind, snow, rain, sun, aging and other alien elements that may be thrown at it. Since replacing the whole roof is an expensive affair, one needs to conduct regular checkups and repairs undertaken when necessary.
To minimize minor roof repair costs, you, with the help of your friends or family can follow the following tips and carry out the exercise.
1. Take safety measures.
It is dangerous to work on a roof hence take these precautionary measures.
· Carry out roof repairs only on sunny days to ensure the roof is completely dry.
· Make use of safety ropes and rubber soled shoes for best traction.
· Keep in mind the location of power lines when on the roof.
2. Identify the damage and the area it is at.
Check out your roof for the damages. You can use binoculars to scan it from the ground. Take note of the problems you notice on the roof. Climb on top of the roof and walk all over it taking note of any other problem and noting the area. Make sure you have identified all the possible problems by looking out for the following:
· Look out for shingles that are missing, damaged or curled or any other sign of wear and tear.
· Observe the vents, air conditioning units and the skylights carefully.
· Look for any sign of fungus or algae and if there are some that has accumulated install lead strips or zinc.
· Observe metallic areas for rust. If rust is present, wire brush the metal, prime it and then paint.
· Inspect the flashing carefully and ensure it is solid.
· By running a hose all over the roof and letting someone inside the house inform you of any leaks.
3. Prepare the surface
After identifying the areas to be repaired prepare the surfaces to make sure they are clean, dry and free from any contamination.
4. Fixing damaged, curled or missing shingles.
In case the shingles are curled, straighten them. If it is in the cold weather you might be required to soften them by using an electric hair dryer. Do not use an open flame heat as it may damage the shingle. Reattach the straightened shingles using roof cement.
If the shingle is missing or damaged beyond repair then replace it. Lift the edges of the old shingle and pry out the nail to remove it then scrap it to remove the roofing cement. After rounding the back corners of the new shingle, slide it into place, drive the galvanized roofing nail (1 ¼ inch) into the upper corners and then apply roof cement to cover the nail heads.
5. Repairing cracks and blisters
If it is a blister, use a utility knife to cut a line through it then squeeze all the water inside to dry it completely. Be careful not to cut substrate underneath. Spread roofing cement under the roofing material and press it down before driving nails alongside the repaired blister. Cover the nail heads with roofing cement.
6. Repairing damaged shakes.
Use a hammer and chisel to split damaged shakes, remove the pieces and pry out the nails. Use a fine-toothed saw to cut a new shake and slide it into place. Drive 2 galvanized nails into it and seal the nails with caulking compound.
7. Repairing connections
If there are damaged connections in the vent pipe or chimney, reapply caulk if the caulking is damaged but if the flashing or boots are damaged you may need to replace them.
After repairing all the damaged areas apply a coating or a sealant using tank sprayer or a brush.
5 Different Types of Roofs
Posted by Roofer on October 21st, 2014
If you are planning to build your house then you have to find what are the types of roof which can be used for your construction. Because roof is the ultimate covering for the building. The shape of the roof used in constructions varies in accordance with the climate, budget, and the choice of materials.
Choosing the right roofing means making a lot of decisions. The first step is to decide what kind you want. How long do you want your roof to last? What style works best with your house? How much maintenance do you want to put into it? These are all good questions to ask. To help you figure it out, here are the main types of roofing available.
As of now, a lot of house owners started to patronize flat roof. Flat roof is said to be the simplest yet most economical way of having a roof. It is a flat and proportional style of roof. However, flat roof may reach the point of weakening its materials wherein you will need the help of flat roof repair London. Typically, most flat roof owners just settle with the process of patching its holes. Actually, the flat roof repair London providers have professional ways to deal with that problem rather than patching them.
Concrete roofing is the most used material because it does not take least expensive investment of which sill yields a reasonably sturdy, flow safe ceiling. They hold up to many weather, from water and humidness to heat and direct sunlight. They also stand up to the wind flow. With frequent maintenance along with upkeep, it is possible to have a new sturdy, dependable roof for as much as 30 decades. You can easily choose a number of styles along with colors to be able to best accent your possessions too.
One could think that will wood protein shake roofs will not last so long. But whenever you invest in this roofing, you’ll have reliable roof for up to 50 a long time. It can be more pricey than concrete but it will always be chosen to the beautiful, healthy look. There are usually fewer colors and it is not a fire repellent material, which means this material has its disadvantages.
Metal roofing is another material that is certainly long enduring and sturdy. It in addition lasts for a long time with tiny maintenance when compared with other product choices. They are very popular for household properties. You are able to choose coming from tin, copper, and inexpensive aluminum possibilities — something that best matches your property. Again, this is a more costly option, but for the low cost of upkeep, it is a very less expensive option.
Clay roofing will be made from interlocking clay-based tiles. You’ll find these tiles in a range of colors and textures and earth tones that make for an exceptionally attractive, resilient roof. Like other choices, this roofing material may last approximately 50 years however, you need the level of house that can support your weight in this option. They are also more fragile and may require more maintenance.
Slate could be the most attractive and many expensive option in terms of residential roofing. You must ensure that you’re utilizing a service provider that knows working using this type of material as it is heavy and pauses easily similar to clay. Nevertheless, they are very durable the moment installed on your roof. This can be the best alternative for properties in cold climates because they are best pertaining to snowy, slippery weather.
DIY Roof Repair Tips
Posted by Roofer on September 11th, 2014
At times, roofs may start to leak much earlier than the time planned to change the roofing. These problems are as a result of cracks, missing shingles on the roof or from shakes. It is always a very hard task to find the leaking place since most of the times, the problem is always not where the leaking occurs. Finding a good roofing contractor is very essential since leaking roofs can cause serious damages if not done as quickly as possible.
Working on roofs can be dangerous especially if you are doing it on your own but using the following safety tips, you will find your working easier and interesting.
– Every time you are working on the roof, it is advisable to do it on a sunny day when they are dry since wet roofs are slippery which makes them dangerous to work on.
– The power lines location should be kept in mind to avoid causing accidents.
– if your roof is steep, use a ladder and shoes with rubber soles which provides the best stepping positions when working.
– Regardless on which roof repairs you are doing, safety measures like safety ropes are essential and should be taken to prevent serious injuries.
To get the leaking part easily, look for it during the day. Since most probably the place the water is leaking from is not the problem, start from that point going upward following the wet areas as the guide. In times where it is not raining, look for roof discoloration or stains made by the water. This will help you in locating the affected part easily. In a case where locating the leaking part is difficult, it is advisable to use a water test. This method requires having two people, one on the roof pouring the water and the other one inside the house with a bucket and source of light to look for the part. When the leaking part is found, mark it with a chalk for repair.
Repairing a roof depends on many factors. If it is some old roofing you can consider having a new roof but if it is not old, repairing it is the best option. If the roof has many parts which need to be worked on, repairing the roof will only solve the problem temporally and soon the leakage will appear again. The best option is to plan on roofing again though you can repair if it’s an emergency before having the new roof. In case you need some time before having the repairs done, you can cover the leaks with materials like plastic sheets to prevent the leakage before you work on it.
In addition, removing the damaged part is required so that the new application can bond to the flashing service. At times the problem is usually with the flashing which protects the joints between the walls or the roofing. They may have rusted, went missing or are loose but you can apply roofing cement or a new metal flashing to solve the problem.
Roof Repair and Replacement Secrets to Staying Warm and Dry
Posted by Roofer on June 1st, 2014
With rapid changes in weather such as periodic transition and changing of wind from one season to the other, people need to know better about the modern day challenges. Roof leak repair and replacement has now become a thing that any homeowner should really be doing regularly. When you begin to see some small broken pieces of shingles thrown on your rooftop or in your yard, it should alert you that you could be having some serious problems with your roof. Repair or replacement should be in order and the expansion of the damage will eventually determine the path you choose.
At this moment , you desperately need to get in touch with a qualified roofing contractor or else that cold and wet weather could be making its way into your home as you are reading this.
There’re a number of alternatives which you can choose for you shingles as well as other roofing needs. You will be in a position to choose a traditional, conventional and modern style of designs which are based on your taste, building style, personal preferences and budget levels.
Durability Cost and Style
Durability, cost and style should actually be the determining factor in regards to this. In some areas, there is a particular model and appearance which are adopted by most buildings and choosing something unique could make your property outstanding. It’s imperative to understand in advance the type of roof repair your home replacement will require so that you can be in a good position to evaluate the estimates. Professional roofer can advise and offer several recommendations which could make your home to appear gorgeous and more distinct. It’s recommended that you choose the right style which is appropriate for your roofing structure. It’s important to keep in mind that every roofing style has its own pros and cons.
There’re varieties for roof repair and replacement shingles and materials available and you should know more about your current roof condition, so that you can make the best decision for repair and replacement, as well as the materials and the contractor you’ll choose to carry out the work.
Making this informed choice us priceless and vital. It is essential to understand that not all roofing materials can be used for all kinds of roof repair and replacement jobs. Therefore, let’s have a brief look at the most popular types of roofing materials.
The Most Popular Roofing Materials
The most popular roofing materials which are used regularly are the wooden shingles, asphalt shingles, laminated shingles and slate roofing materials.
The asphalt shingles are the most popular of the four mentioned because they’re among the least expensive hence they are noted for their quality and durability. They are produced with fiber paper or glass, and they have great strength and usually come in different color and styles which others don’t offer. Asphalt shingles have a life span of almost 30 years and this may be considered as a long term investment. If you need a roof leak repair or replacement, always remember that durability, cost and style should always be the determining factor as you choose your new roof.
Credible Emergency Roof Repair Contractor
Posted by Roofer on March 21st, 2014
Choosing the right roofing contractor more so for an emergency roof repair is not an easy process; hence, it is imperative to take your time so as to prudently choose the right roofer to fix your roof. There are a number of issues that you must implore before awarding the contract to the right roofing service provider.
Features of professional roofing contractors
The following qualities will help you identify the right roofing contractor or technicians to fix your roof:
1). Experience: Technical and intricate works such as roofing requires a high level of expertise that have been obtained over an extended time. So as to ensure that your roof is fixed properly, it is advisable to contract services of a company that has been in operation for a long time.
2). Defined technical work plan: Most of the homeowners often ignores to ask the contractor of the design or work plan. Professional roofing company will ensure that they avail to you a work plan with specific timelines. This is essential in an emergency situation where the roofing work is supposed to be properly fixed as soon as possible.
3). Budget: It is important to deal with a company that their charges are within your budget. The company must endeavor to cut on the roofing cost without compromising on the quality of the work. Credible companies will provide realistic quotations or estimates based on physical assessment of your home or property.
4). Insurance and warranties: It is a requirement of the law for roofing companies to ensure their staffs and their field operations. The only way to avoid unnecessary law suits and compensation claims in case of an accident while your roof is being fixed, it is safe to deal only with an insured roofer. The workers must be covered by workmanship insurance compensation cover. In addition, it is advisable to ask the company if their services have warranties. Thus, in case of any anomaly once the roofers have left your home, you will be able to recall them to fix the fault at no extra cost. It is advisable to confirm how long the warranty is and only deal with a company with extended warranties.
5) Customized roofing options: It is interesting and quite fulfilling dealing with creative roofers that will offer you tailor-made solutions based on your home requirement. Innovative roofer engages their customers throughout all the roofing processes. Thus, from designing, planning, purchasing of the roofing materials, installation to finishing the roof, so as to ensure that you are fully satisfied with their services.
6). Comprehensive contract: The only way to safeguard your interest is to ensure that before the contractor move to your home is to have a written contract in place. Apart from the contract, the roofing company must avail to you insurance documents, copies of registration certificates, local authority’s technical works permits and warranty certificate.
7). State of roofing equipment: The best way to differentiate between a shoddy roofing company and a professional one is the type of the equipment that they are using. Established roofing companies uses modern roofing tools so as to ensure efficiency and high quality workmanship.
It is a smart and cost effective move to opt for a reliable roofing company. A dependable roofing contractor offers lasting roofing solutions ranging from designing, installation, routine maintenance to replacement of worn-out roof.
Identifying The Need For Roof Shingle Repair
Posted by Roofer on January 15th, 2014
If you wish to fix roof shingles successfully, there are specific steps we need to follow to be certain that your new shingles will sustain their structural reliability in the future. Examples of harmful shingles that need restoration are any that are curling, continuously damp, or are missing. In most cases, if there is no noticeable wear and tear, chances are we need to delve a little deeper to find the reason for your leaky rooftop or energy ineffectiveness.
Curled shingles seem to be frequently repaired with asphalt roof cement. Frequently, high temperatures are likely to trigger the shingles to curl, now making routine maintenance a necessity to ensure the continued safety of your shingles. Curling is also massively frequent when in damp climates and can be the effect of incorrectly ventilated attic space. Aside from weather alone, there are quite a few ways that curling can appear on shingle roofs, let us venture to explore a few in brief.
Improper Ventilation: Whenever an attic is constructed and shingles are installed, it is crucial that the ventilation accommodates for temperature inflection. If it so happens that a roof is having trouble ventilating, which oftentimes means it will not ventilate at all at a certain time, all of the wetness will build-up in the attic. Is anyone able to tell what happens when moisture builds up? You guessed it, H2O damage! After the moisture eventually condenses, water will drip down onto the home’s wooden frame and will even drip to the interior. It is a piece of cake to correct this concern with adequate inspection and with exact application of roofing shingles.
Improper Nailing: Another usual complication with shingle roofs that promotes curling is incorrect nailing! When putting in a roof, specifically a shingle roof, it is optimal to comply with the allotted nailing pattern that is advised for shingle roofs. All roofing specialists should strive to meet the industry standard and stay with to the Four Nail Rule. Because we have been involved in the roofing industry for twenty years, we have learned that at least four nails should be used on each individual shingle. Most roofing installers most of the time, do what is referred to as skip nailing, which indicates they use about three nails per shingle. This is a red flag for unacceptable installation because with less than four nails per shingle, the shingles will consequently slip downwards, forcing a curling effect.
Tamko materials are very highly advised for shingles. They produce superior protection that will last. Various roofing contractors may try to persuade you to changeover to a tiled roof, but oftentimes typical housing architecture was designed to only carry shingles. Thankfully, shingles are available in various colors and will likely add a classic appearance to your residence. Most new homes in the valley come traditionally with tile roofs. So, the odds are that you inhabit a shingled roof if you have an older household. Having a pro perform scheduled maintenance on your shingle roof will shield you from needing to purchase an entirely new roof in the long term.