Yes It’s True Roofers Are Different & Here’s Why
Posted by Roofer on January 23rd, 2015
A roofer is a worker who specializes in construction of roofs. They install roofing materials like beams, rafters, etc to make the building weather proof or water proof. It is very important for any roofer to possess good carpentry skills and motor skills.
Roofers can be categorized into four types:
· Shinglers- They installs shingles, tiles and shakes and other nail on products.
· Metal Roofers- They installs metal panels.
· Flat Roofers- They work with single ply or foam roofs.
· Hot Roofers- They focus on using tar based products.
One can choose a type of roofing depending upon the region. Climate of the place plays a significant role in choosing the desirable type of roofing material. Though there are few more types, these are the main types recommended by the manufacturers.
Tips for choosing the right roofer:
· The roofer should have proof of verification of the state or local area.
· Ensuring that the business is legitimate by looking into the tax identification number, a business website, business address, contact number and email address.
· Having a proof of insurance which includes worker’s compensation and coverage of liability is necessary.
· For satisfaction and cross check, one can call up the past clients of the roofer to ensure about the work done by them.
· One should make sure that the roofer is approved by the roofing manufacturer to install and work on the roof chosen.
· To have full knowledge of how many people would be working on the roofing project and how would the work be supervised.
· Make sure about how long it would take to complete the project.
· Reading the warranty and the details carefully is a must.
· Obtain a contract from the roofer regarding the project.
Benefits of hiring a roofing contractor:
· Roofers are trained professionals who exactly know what to do in what situation. They are licensed and are experienced whether it is for repairs or maintenance or installing a new one.
· Roofing contractors possess tools for the jobs and are well aware of the climbing techniques. Therefore, one doesn’t need to risk their life trying to work on the roof while they are perfect for their job.
· Hiring a roofer saves time and money. They know their job and would do it well and quickly. In case of any mistake or damage caused to the property, the insurance would cover every single loss. Experimenting to do it ourselves can result in bad roofing along with wastage of time and money.
Roofers’ profession not just makes them earn for their living but choosing such a work can be appreciated and termed as sheer bravery. They acquire enough knowledge about roofing, the best materials to be used, about the techniques and many more. One can try to do roofing thinking it to be an easy job but it takes a lot of hard work and difficulties to be faces while performing the work. Roofers are definitely different and they can risk themselves to get our work done safely and in the best way possible!
Finding The Best Roofing Company In Your Area
Posted by Roofer on January 4th, 2015
A roof is indeed an essential component of each and every home. A roof helps in safeguarding the home against both human and animal intruders. In addition to that, a roof offers convenient protection against harsh weather conditions such as extreme temperatures, rain or snowfall. It is therefore important for one to take adequate measures when selecting a roofing company in order to ensure that they are able to find the best roofing company that will adequately address their roofing needs. One should select a professional roofing company that has adequate capability to address their roofing needs.
Assessment of roofing needs
The first step in selecting a roofing company is the ascertainment of one’s roofing needs. Before selecting a roofing company, it is first and foremost important to ascertain one’s roofing needs. This implies that one should first of all ascertain whether they want to repair, replace or install new roofs. There are several roofing companies in the market with some specializing in the repair or installation of new roofs. One should therefore select the company according to their exact roofing needs, for instance, one should not employ the services of a new roof installation company when all they need is to repair their old roofs.
A company’s reputation is a reflection of the company’s ability to deliver high value products or services. A highly reputable roofing company is most likely to offer better roofing products and services to the potential customer.
The third step when it comes to selecting a roofing company is inspection of the company’s products and services. In addition to simply carrying out research on the reputation of various companies, it is important to inspect the actual quality of the company’s workmanship in terms of products and services offered by various companies. This information can be obtained online through the use of company’s online catalogs. However, the most effective way of going about this exercise is to inspect actual products find services from people who have previously purchased the company’s products or employed the company’s services.
Ascertain the company’s policy on after sales services
After sales services refer to any services that a company offers to the customer after the sale of a product or service has been finalized. After sales services is particularly essential when it comes to roofing installation and repair. This is due to the fact that roofing installation and repair involves the use of a lot of materials which eventually end up as debris upon completion of the installation or repair. Roofing materials such as shingles, tiles, nails and even old roofs that have been replaced usually end up piling up inside the house or premises. In most cases, the sheer quantity materials imply that it might be very difficult for the customer to clean their houses or premises themselves. A good number of company offer cleaning services as part of their after sales services and it is important for the customer to take this fact into account.
Contacting the most suitable company
The final step when it comes to selecting a roofing company is contacting the company selected. The client should contact the company that fulfills their exact roofing requirements, has a good reputation, offers high quality workmanship and which is able to clean roofing debris as part of its after sales services.
What Is The Best Time To Do A Roof Replacement
Posted by Roofer on December 22nd, 2014
Roof replacement is a process that requires quite a lot of planning and funds in order to be successful. You cannot just wake up one morning and decide that you want to replace the roof over your head. Like everything else under the sun, there is a perfect time to do replacement on your roof as well as repairs. Definitely during the winter period you cannot expect to get the roof replaced. This is like the worst time to even consider repairing the roof let alone replacement. So what is the best time for a roof replacement exercise?
The perfect time
The earlier the better for your roof and your pocket as well- you do not want to spend a fortune on roof repairs and replacements. This is why you should make sure that you avoid those times when roofing companies are busy. These periods run through from mid and late summer throughout the fall months. During these months work can be so busy that you will end up waiting for up to a month to get the work done. Thus it goes without saying that the best time to replace your roof is during spring, latest early summer.
Benefits of sticking to this time
There are so many benefits of sticking to these months whenever you want to carry out roof replacements. These merits include:
• Cheaper prices
You will not have to go break a bank in order to have your leaking roof replaced. During the roofing companies’ off peak season you will not have to worry about being charged exorbitant prices. The rates are often very good- depending on the company that you select.
• Finding a contractor is easier
Contractors are in no short supply during the spring and early summer months. The same is totally not the case for those who choose to wait for fall to arrive. Roofing contractors are usually swamped with work and as aforementioned you might have to wait up to a month to have the work done.
• High quality roofing service
There is nothing as bad as waiting for a month for the contractor to come and fix the roof and then having it done haphazardly. Time limitations can push roofers to do an unpleasant job. The contractor was hard to find in the first place, you can only imagine how hard it will be to get them to come back to repair something they fixed wrongly.
How to find a contractor
The best contractor for your roof is definitely one who is within your local environment. This is because such as a contractor is in a position out the best way to do the work. Finding a contractor should never be a problem to you at least not while there is internet technology. You can search for a local contractor online with such tremendous ease.
One thing that you should always check for when you are hiring a contractor is an insurance cover. You do not want to have someone getting an accident in your home only to sue you for personal injury. Also check for a license from the local authorities.
Essential Tips For Roof Cleaning Services
Posted by Roofer on December 3rd, 2014
Roofs do more than just protecting us from the exposures of harsh weather and making a house beautiful. For roofs to function well they need to be well maintained, roof cleaning services may seem like a daunting task but you can do it yourself at home with the help of this guide. It is quite an easy task but should be done with caution as the roof is usually slippery; sometimes hot thus it can cause harm if precautions are not taken. You may outsource this job to roof cleaning services companies. The following include the benefits of a well maintained and clean roof:
1. A clean roof looks good and can improve the overall look of a house, which is what we all want.
2. Most of the dirt on the roof is caused by algae, moss and lichen these organisms eat up the shingles of the roof and may cause leaks or excessive heat in the house thus increasing the costs of air conditioning. Roof cleaning services will prevent this.
3. Roof cleaning services will also extend the life of your roof.
4. Knowing the essentials of roof cleaning services will also save you money as it will avoid changing your roof after seven to ten years because a well maintained roof can last up to twenty years.
In cleaning your roof you will need hot water, bleach, detergent and a sprayer preferably a garden sprayer. You may start offering roof cleaning services in your neighborhood after reading this step by step guide:
1. Get a comfortable place on the roof, you can use a ladder as you will be working your way up starting from the lower portion to avoid slipping.
2. Use a broom to brush the shingles lightly where you intend to spray the cleaning solution.
3. Mix the bleach, hot water, detergent in a sprayer or a container and start spraying the parts that have been swept first, using the sprayer saturate preferably a three feet high by ten feet by ten feet wide strip as you work your way up.
4. Spray more solution if it dries out quickly, it is more advisable to wash your roof in a cool day to avoid the solution from drying up quickly without being absorbed well.
5. Rinse the parts that have been sprayed with fresh water, repeat the process until the whole roof is clean and looking as good as new.
That was quite easy, however, if you find signs of mold growth on your roof you may want to call a company that deals in roof cleaning services, as there might be need for you to replace your roof. If you find leaks or if your shingles are weak you should also seek a roof cleaning Services Company as your roof may be damaged by wind, rain or storms.
One is however advised to use environment friendly detergent and bleach so that it wont have adverse effects on the environment including your garden plants. It is also advisable to use protective clothing and ensure the solution does not get on your skin or eyes.
Tips For Roof Repair
Posted by Roofer on November 14th, 2014
There is no better time then today to have your roof inspected for any possible repairs, especially if you are in a location where it has changeable weather conditions. Neglecting to fix it, even the gutters of your house is one of the worst things you can do. Prior to the cold sets in this winter, hire a contractor to make sure you avoid significant damages. Making sure your house roof repair issues are taken care of it is essential to keep further issues from occurring on other areas of your home.
1. Lower Your Energy Bills
2. Throughout the winter months, a roof that is in need of repair is much less than power efficient. If you are concerned about saving energy (and money!) you should be certain to maintain up together with your house roof repair needs. If you don’t do home roof repair at the initial indicators of an issue, your home could be losing a great deal of power correct out the top.
3. Home Roof Repair
4. Shingle replacement is a major tasks for house roof repair. Climbing all more than your roof looking for damaged shingles can frequently be time consuming, and not entirely safe. Shingle replacement by a roofing professional will make sure that you replace using the correct type, number, and installation of shingles.
5. Property owners may be initially concerned with distinction between their old and replaced roofing. The older the roofing the more it weathered and consequently possess a slightly various color than the new pieces. . Within the mean time, if you’re concerned about the appear of one’s roof, have the new shingles place within the least noticeable spots in your roof.
6. Maintain The Cleanliness of Your Roof
7. An additional important part of house roof repair is cleaning your roof. Not too numerous people see this as being necessary, but if you keep up with removing debris and sitting water you may have the ability to stop future harm. Just like any other a part of your house, you want to make sure you maintain your roof free of debris from nearby trees, and inspect for any sign of mold.
8. It is very important to follow seriously whatever your service provider tells you to do. . There are companies offering services regarding Roofing Repair Toronto, they provide online sign up facility to their clients. With this facility, clients can call these professionals to inspect their home whenever required. There are no charges for such visits, and also they provide important information on how to avoid major or minor structural damages.
9. It is never advisable to ignore small damages- Small problems are the initiators of large-scale damages. It is therefore, important to keep a check on roof damages that appear as a signal indicating that you need to get the repair done. It requires you to be on time when it is about the strength of your home. Small cracks, minor leaks or other small damages should not be ignored to stop it from expanding later on. These problems signal the necessity of calling an expert so that you need not to run for Emergency Roof Repair spending much more than you ever planned.
10. Trim trees touching the roof- If there is any tree touching your roof, then it is better to trim it down to prevent potential damages. If not done so, it can ruin the quality of roofing materials. The leaves can block the drain system of roof and can alter the functionality of gutters. This in turn can cause accumulation of water in the area making it more prone to damages.
11. Get the loose shingles corrected and insist on quality
Loose shingles can promote the damage and hence, must be corrected by an expert. However, the important thing is to insist on quality. You must ensure that your service provider will use only the highest standard material to accomplish the project.
7 Roof Repair Tips for Home Owners
Posted by Roofer on October 29th, 2014
There are things that home owners always have to be on the lookout for and amongst them are roof damages. Roof damages are bound to occur and they will come with problems like leakages which will water the inside of your house, cracks, loosened fasteners or holes. This will affect the quality of your house and probably even affect its market value. Whereas repairing or replacing a roof can be an expensive affair, many homeowners are ill equipped with knowledge about roofs or roof repairs. It is also of importance to always check whether your homeowners insurance covers serious roof damage. Major causes of roof damage include wind, snow, rain, sun, aging and other alien elements that may be thrown at it. Since replacing the whole roof is an expensive affair, one needs to conduct regular checkups and repairs undertaken when necessary.
To minimize minor roof repair costs, you, with the help of your friends or family can follow the following tips and carry out the exercise.
1. Take safety measures.
It is dangerous to work on a roof hence take these precautionary measures.
· Carry out roof repairs only on sunny days to ensure the roof is completely dry.
· Make use of safety ropes and rubber soled shoes for best traction.
· Keep in mind the location of power lines when on the roof.
2. Identify the damage and the area it is at.
Check out your roof for the damages. You can use binoculars to scan it from the ground. Take note of the problems you notice on the roof. Climb on top of the roof and walk all over it taking note of any other problem and noting the area. Make sure you have identified all the possible problems by looking out for the following:
· Look out for shingles that are missing, damaged or curled or any other sign of wear and tear.
· Observe the vents, air conditioning units and the skylights carefully.
· Look for any sign of fungus or algae and if there are some that has accumulated install lead strips or zinc.
· Observe metallic areas for rust. If rust is present, wire brush the metal, prime it and then paint.
· Inspect the flashing carefully and ensure it is solid.
· By running a hose all over the roof and letting someone inside the house inform you of any leaks.
3. Prepare the surface
After identifying the areas to be repaired prepare the surfaces to make sure they are clean, dry and free from any contamination.
4. Fixing damaged, curled or missing shingles.
In case the shingles are curled, straighten them. If it is in the cold weather you might be required to soften them by using an electric hair dryer. Do not use an open flame heat as it may damage the shingle. Reattach the straightened shingles using roof cement.
If the shingle is missing or damaged beyond repair then replace it. Lift the edges of the old shingle and pry out the nail to remove it then scrap it to remove the roofing cement. After rounding the back corners of the new shingle, slide it into place, drive the galvanized roofing nail (1 ¼ inch) into the upper corners and then apply roof cement to cover the nail heads.
5. Repairing cracks and blisters
If it is a blister, use a utility knife to cut a line through it then squeeze all the water inside to dry it completely. Be careful not to cut substrate underneath. Spread roofing cement under the roofing material and press it down before driving nails alongside the repaired blister. Cover the nail heads with roofing cement.
6. Repairing damaged shakes.
Use a hammer and chisel to split damaged shakes, remove the pieces and pry out the nails. Use a fine-toothed saw to cut a new shake and slide it into place. Drive 2 galvanized nails into it and seal the nails with caulking compound.
7. Repairing connections
If there are damaged connections in the vent pipe or chimney, reapply caulk if the caulking is damaged but if the flashing or boots are damaged you may need to replace them.
After repairing all the damaged areas apply a coating or a sealant using tank sprayer or a brush.
5 Different Types of Roofs
Posted by Roofer on October 21st, 2014
If you are planning to build your house then you have to find what are the types of roof which can be used for your construction. Because roof is the ultimate covering for the building. The shape of the roof used in constructions varies in accordance with the climate, budget, and the choice of materials.
Choosing the right roofing means making a lot of decisions. The first step is to decide what kind you want. How long do you want your roof to last? What style works best with your house? How much maintenance do you want to put into it? These are all good questions to ask. To help you figure it out, here are the main types of roofing available.
As of now, a lot of house owners started to patronize flat roof. Flat roof is said to be the simplest yet most economical way of having a roof. It is a flat and proportional style of roof. However, flat roof may reach the point of weakening its materials wherein you will need the help of flat roof repair London. Typically, most flat roof owners just settle with the process of patching its holes. Actually, the flat roof repair London providers have professional ways to deal with that problem rather than patching them.
Concrete roofing is the most used material because it does not take least expensive investment of which sill yields a reasonably sturdy, flow safe ceiling. They hold up to many weather, from water and humidness to heat and direct sunlight. They also stand up to the wind flow. With frequent maintenance along with upkeep, it is possible to have a new sturdy, dependable roof for as much as 30 decades. You can easily choose a number of styles along with colors to be able to best accent your possessions too.
One could think that will wood protein shake roofs will not last so long. But whenever you invest in this roofing, you’ll have reliable roof for up to 50 a long time. It can be more pricey than concrete but it will always be chosen to the beautiful, healthy look. There are usually fewer colors and it is not a fire repellent material, which means this material has its disadvantages.
Metal roofing is another material that is certainly long enduring and sturdy. It in addition lasts for a long time with tiny maintenance when compared with other product choices. They are very popular for household properties. You are able to choose coming from tin, copper, and inexpensive aluminum possibilities — something that best matches your property. Again, this is a more costly option, but for the low cost of upkeep, it is a very less expensive option.
Clay roofing will be made from interlocking clay-based tiles. You’ll find these tiles in a range of colors and textures and earth tones that make for an exceptionally attractive, resilient roof. Like other choices, this roofing material may last approximately 50 years however, you need the level of house that can support your weight in this option. They are also more fragile and may require more maintenance.
Slate could be the most attractive and many expensive option in terms of residential roofing. You must ensure that you’re utilizing a service provider that knows working using this type of material as it is heavy and pauses easily similar to clay. Nevertheless, they are very durable the moment installed on your roof. This can be the best alternative for properties in cold climates because they are best pertaining to snowy, slippery weather.
DIY Roof Repair Tips
Posted by Roofer on September 11th, 2014
At times, roofs may start to leak much earlier than the time planned to change the roofing. These problems are as a result of cracks, missing shingles on the roof or from shakes. It is always a very hard task to find the leaking place since most of the times, the problem is always not where the leaking occurs. Finding a good roofing contractor is very essential since leaking roofs can cause serious damages if not done as quickly as possible.
Working on roofs can be dangerous especially if you are doing it on your own but using the following safety tips, you will find your working easier and interesting.
– Every time you are working on the roof, it is advisable to do it on a sunny day when they are dry since wet roofs are slippery which makes them dangerous to work on.
– The power lines location should be kept in mind to avoid causing accidents.
– if your roof is steep, use a ladder and shoes with rubber soles which provides the best stepping positions when working.
– Regardless on which roof repairs you are doing, safety measures like safety ropes are essential and should be taken to prevent serious injuries.
To get the leaking part easily, look for it during the day. Since most probably the place the water is leaking from is not the problem, start from that point going upward following the wet areas as the guide. In times where it is not raining, look for roof discoloration or stains made by the water. This will help you in locating the affected part easily. In a case where locating the leaking part is difficult, it is advisable to use a water test. This method requires having two people, one on the roof pouring the water and the other one inside the house with a bucket and source of light to look for the part. When the leaking part is found, mark it with a chalk for repair.
Repairing a roof depends on many factors. If it is some old roofing you can consider having a new roof but if it is not old, repairing it is the best option. If the roof has many parts which need to be worked on, repairing the roof will only solve the problem temporally and soon the leakage will appear again. The best option is to plan on roofing again though you can repair if it’s an emergency before having the new roof. In case you need some time before having the repairs done, you can cover the leaks with materials like plastic sheets to prevent the leakage before you work on it.
In addition, removing the damaged part is required so that the new application can bond to the flashing service. At times the problem is usually with the flashing which protects the joints between the walls or the roofing. They may have rusted, went missing or are loose but you can apply roofing cement or a new metal flashing to solve the problem.
Roof Repair and Replacement Secrets to Staying Warm and Dry
Posted by Roofer on June 1st, 2014
With rapid changes in weather such as periodic transition and changing of wind from one season to the other, people need to know better about the modern day challenges. Roof leak repair and replacement has now become a thing that any homeowner should really be doing regularly. When you begin to see some small broken pieces of shingles thrown on your rooftop or in your yard, it should alert you that you could be having some serious problems with your roof. Repair or replacement should be in order and the expansion of the damage will eventually determine the path you choose.
At this moment , you desperately need to get in touch with a qualified roofing contractor or else that cold and wet weather could be making its way into your home as you are reading this.
There’re a number of alternatives which you can choose for you shingles as well as other roofing needs. You will be in a position to choose a traditional, conventional and modern style of designs which are based on your taste, building style, personal preferences and budget levels.
Durability Cost and Style
Durability, cost and style should actually be the determining factor in regards to this. In some areas, there is a particular model and appearance which are adopted by most buildings and choosing something unique could make your property outstanding. It’s imperative to understand in advance the type of roof repair your home replacement will require so that you can be in a good position to evaluate the estimates. Professional roofer can advise and offer several recommendations which could make your home to appear gorgeous and more distinct. It’s recommended that you choose the right style which is appropriate for your roofing structure. It’s important to keep in mind that every roofing style has its own pros and cons.
There’re varieties for roof repair and replacement shingles and materials available and you should know more about your current roof condition, so that you can make the best decision for repair and replacement, as well as the materials and the contractor you’ll choose to carry out the work.
Making this informed choice us priceless and vital. It is essential to understand that not all roofing materials can be used for all kinds of roof repair and replacement jobs. Therefore, let’s have a brief look at the most popular types of roofing materials.
The Most Popular Roofing Materials
The most popular roofing materials which are used regularly are the wooden shingles, asphalt shingles, laminated shingles and slate roofing materials.
The asphalt shingles are the most popular of the four mentioned because they’re among the least expensive hence they are noted for their quality and durability. They are produced with fiber paper or glass, and they have great strength and usually come in different color and styles which others don’t offer. Asphalt shingles have a life span of almost 30 years and this may be considered as a long term investment. If you need a roof leak repair or replacement, always remember that durability, cost and style should always be the determining factor as you choose your new roof.
Credible Emergency Roof Repair Contractor
Posted by Roofer on March 21st, 2014
Choosing the right roofing contractor more so for an emergency roof repair is not an easy process; hence, it is imperative to take your time so as to prudently choose the right roofer to fix your roof. There are a number of issues that you must implore before awarding the contract to the right roofing service provider.
Features of professional roofing contractors
The following qualities will help you identify the right roofing contractor or technicians to fix your roof:
1). Experience: Technical and intricate works such as roofing requires a high level of expertise that have been obtained over an extended time. So as to ensure that your roof is fixed properly, it is advisable to contract services of a company that has been in operation for a long time.
2). Defined technical work plan: Most of the homeowners often ignores to ask the contractor of the design or work plan. Professional roofing company will ensure that they avail to you a work plan with specific timelines. This is essential in an emergency situation where the roofing work is supposed to be properly fixed as soon as possible.
3). Budget: It is important to deal with a company that their charges are within your budget. The company must endeavor to cut on the roofing cost without compromising on the quality of the work. Credible companies will provide realistic quotations or estimates based on physical assessment of your home or property.
4). Insurance and warranties: It is a requirement of the law for roofing companies to ensure their staffs and their field operations. The only way to avoid unnecessary law suits and compensation claims in case of an accident while your roof is being fixed, it is safe to deal only with an insured roofer. The workers must be covered by workmanship insurance compensation cover. In addition, it is advisable to ask the company if their services have warranties. Thus, in case of any anomaly once the roofers have left your home, you will be able to recall them to fix the fault at no extra cost. It is advisable to confirm how long the warranty is and only deal with a company with extended warranties.
5) Customized roofing options: It is interesting and quite fulfilling dealing with creative roofers that will offer you tailor-made solutions based on your home requirement. Innovative roofer engages their customers throughout all the roofing processes. Thus, from designing, planning, purchasing of the roofing materials, installation to finishing the roof, so as to ensure that you are fully satisfied with their services.
6). Comprehensive contract: The only way to safeguard your interest is to ensure that before the contractor move to your home is to have a written contract in place. Apart from the contract, the roofing company must avail to you insurance documents, copies of registration certificates, local authority’s technical works permits and warranty certificate.
7). State of roofing equipment: The best way to differentiate between a shoddy roofing company and a professional one is the type of the equipment that they are using. Established roofing companies uses modern roofing tools so as to ensure efficiency and high quality workmanship.
It is a smart and cost effective move to opt for a reliable roofing company. A dependable roofing contractor offers lasting roofing solutions ranging from designing, installation, routine maintenance to replacement of worn-out roof.